Medical Update #3

Sorry for the delay in updates, but I haven’t really been feeling hot the past few days and so it has really just slipped my mind about updating all of you.

First of all we are so thankful for all of you who have been praying for us and the doctors, those of you who have offered to bring us meals and offer rides, etc. You all are truly a blessing to us. We have truly felt and been blessed by your prayers!

So last Monday we headed back to the neurologist for my EEG test. This test was to last 48 hours and I would have about 25 electrodes attached to my head monitoring and recording brain waves, activity, etc. Apparently your brain can be firing and you can be having a seizure, but have no outward symptoms. I didn’t realize the wide spectrum of possibilities when it came to seizures, epilepsy, etc.

I sat in the chair for about an hour while he literally glued these things to my head, then they ran me through a short series of tests. They got baseline states of me resting, then I had to hyperventilate myself and then they flashed a strobe in my face for a couple of minutes which was pretty intense. After that we left with all the wires coming out of my head and a little pack which I had to wear around my neck for the next 48 hours. It wasn’t too bad, just mildly inconvenient. It’s hard to sleep with all that on!

On Wednesday morning, we went back and they took all of it off my head, except the glue…that was a present I got to keep and work out of my hair for a couple of days. They will either call if there is something significant or I will find the results at our follow up in June.

Then I moved to get ready for the MRI. The first time in all of this that I began to feel anxious. I don’t know why either, because I wasn’t anxious about what they would find…I have had an peace about all that, but more anxious about the test itself. I have only heard all the stories about MRIs…the banging loud noises, the fact that it’s so small in there. Then you read the disclaimer and that will make anyone want to opt out. But it was just a sweet time for me that morning to pray and comfort myself with Truth.

I went into the MRI machine and yes, it was tight (I am a big boy, but it would be tight or anyone), but I got to listen to praise & worship music while I was in there so that gave me something to listen to and think about the whole time I was in there. I was in there for about 40 minutes, but it went by really quickly. As of right now, unless something changes we have a follow up appointment with the nuero on June 15th. (I know…that’s a long time to wait)

After that I was pretty exhausted, we had been there since about 9:30 that morning and it was after 1-1:30. So we headed home.

One of my close friends was visiting this past week, so he was headed over to pick me up…I kind of like being chauffeured around. (I really don’t, I miss driving) Right before he got here I got an email from the neurologists office. I will admit, my stomach sank a little. I had to go through the annoying process of logging into the Patient website, trying to figure out/ remember my password. It took me about 20 minutes. When I finally logged in I saw some great news: “Mr. Jackett, your MRI results were normal!”

Praise God!

We are very thankful for this, but there is also the frustration that we know something is wrong and we just don’t know what it is.

I have an appt with a Cardiologist today, so we would appreciate your prayers there. I have the appointment first thing then they will do an echocardiogram (sonogram of my heart) to see if there is anything there that might be wrong.

Thanks for keeping up with us and I will try and keep everyone posted more often!

-David & Jen


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s