Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15-20 minutes
- 4 slices of gluten-free bread (we use Udi’s Gluten Free Whole Grain Sandwich bread – AMAZING!!)
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup milk OR dairy free substitute
- 1 teaspoon sugar or honey (we use Madhava’s Agave Nectar)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Oil for frying
- 1 tablespoon GF powdered sugar for dusting (always use more of this!) (we use Wholesome Sweeteners Organic Powdered Sugar)
- Combine the eggs, milk or dairy substitute, sugar, vanilla in a bowl and whisk until thoroughly blended.
- Use a shallow pan or plate to lay slices of homemade breakfast bread in the egg mixture. Allow both sides of bread to soak up as much egg mixture as it will hold (like a sponge!).
- Heat oil on medium high in a large, heavy skillet and fry coated bread slices. When golden brown, flip and cook second side until golden brown.
- Serve with butter and a LOT of powdered sugar.
Eating gluten-free has been quite the adventure for me to say the least. I feel I have a somewhat unique point of view as I am not gluten intolerant or allergic and I am not trying out the newest fad diet to become popular. I told Jen when we were engaged that when we got married I would go 100% gluten free to make things easier for cooking, shopping, etc. but most of all I wanted to walk along side her and support her in this.
It has not been easy for her. She didn’t have a choice, but I haven’t really viewed it as a choice either. We both have our cravings and we often joke about how we really miss this or that (CHICK-FIL-A!!!), but all in all it has not been as hard as I thought it would be.
So anyways…I love to cook. I have been encouraging Jen to write blogs about gluten free stuff because we are always meeting people who have been doing it a lot less time than we have and we have definitely done our homework on things. The hardest things with gluten free anything is TASTE! Sure Betty Crocker can slap “Gluten Free” on a box, but if the brownies tastes worse than the box that it comes in….FAIL.
So hopefully sharing our secrets and recipes will help you guys out!