Breakfast is my absolute favorite things to make. Since we have been married we have gotten up and cooked breakfast almost every Saturday or Sunday and cooked breakfast, either together or taking turns. (I will admit it is hard for me to let my wife serve me here, because I really love to cook breakfast!)
So in my new gluten free adventure I have set out to conquer the most missed breakfast foods. French Toast was near the top! So hear is my recipe for delicious gluten free french toast!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15-20 minutes
- 4 slices of gluten-free bread (we use Udi’s Gluten Free Whole Grain Sandwich bread – AMAZING!!)
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup milk OR dairy free substitute
- 1 teaspoon sugar or honey (we use Madhava’s Agave Nectar)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Oil for frying
- 1 tablespoon GF powdered sugar for dusting (always use more of this!) (we use Wholesome Sweeteners Organic Powdered Sugar)
- Combine the eggs, milk or dairy substitute, sugar, vanilla in a bowl and whisk until thoroughly blended.
- Use a shallow pan or plate to lay slices of homemade breakfast bread in the egg mixture. Allow both sides of bread to soak up as much egg mixture as it will hold (like a sponge!).
- Heat oil on medium high in a large, heavy skillet and fry coated bread slices. When golden brown, flip and cook second side until golden brown.
- Serve with butter and a LOT of powdered sugar.